- Net profits in 2009 touched SR 9 billion (US$ 2.4 billion).
- Total assets stood at SR 297 billion (US$ 79.2 billion) at the end of 2009.
- The value of current assets at the end of 2009 stood at SR 106 billion (US$ 28.4 billion).
- SABIC’s overall production has increased from 35 million metric tons in 2001 to 59 million metric tons in 2009.
For more information on SABIC’s performance in 2009 please download our annual report from the Publications page of this website.
- SABIC was first conceived in 1976, and began production in 1981.
- SABIC is a market leader in key products such as ethylene, ethylene glycol, methanol, MTBE and polyethylene.
- We forecast that annual production capacity will reach over 130 million metric tons (mmt) by 2020.
- Chemicals, SABIC’s largest strategic business unit, accounts for around 60% of the company’s total production.
- SABIC is the world’s fourth-largest producer of polyolefins. It is the world’s third-largest producer of polyethylene and the fourth-largest producer of polypropylene.
- SABIC is also the world’s largest producer of mono-ethylene glycol, MTBE, granular urea, polyphenylene and polyether imide.
- The Saudi Iron and Steel Company (HADEED), based in Al-Jubail, is one of the world’s biggest fully-integrated steel producers.
- SABIC Europe, SABIC’s European subsidiary, produces over 2 mmt of polymers and over 5 mmt of basic chemicals, mainly in Europe, and employs over 3,000 people.
For more about particular products please see our Products pages.
SABIC operates in more than 40 countries across the world and has 60 world-class manufacturing and compounding plants in locations across the Middle East, Asia, Europe and the Americas. Its headquarters are in Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia.
Technology and Innovation
- SABIC has research and application technology centers in Saudi Arabia, the United States, Europe, China, Japan, Korea and India.
- In 2008, SABIC filed 500 new applications all over the world, bringing the total number of proprietary patent applications to 5,756 and the number granted to 7,173.
- Our Global Application Technology organization develops more than 150 new products every year.
Safety and the Environment
- In 2008, the Safety, Health and Environmental Performance Index (SHEPI) of SABIC Saudi-based affiliates was 0.74 – within the upper control limits set for the year.
- SABIC Europe recorded only two recordable injuries to employees in 2008, down from eight in 2007.
- The SABIC Innovative Plastics injury rate fell from 0.95 to 0.89 in 2008.
- SABIC affiliates and contractors have achieved more than 157 million safe man-hours without lost time or injuries.
- The Responsible Care Award, the National Safety Council Award, the Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents, the British Safety Council, the Japan Industrial Safety and Health Association, and Saudi Arabia’s Royal Commission have all recognized SABIC’s Safety, Health and Environment performance.
For more about our dedication to safety and the environment please see the Sustainability section.