- Net profits in 2014 touched SR 23.3 billion (US$ 6.2 billion).
- Total assets stood at SR 340 billion (US$ 90.74 billion) at the end of 2014.
- SABIC’s overall production has increased from 35 million metric tons in 2001 to 69.7 million metric tons in 2014.
For the latest information on SABIC’s performance please visit our Performance and Financial highlights section or see our latest Annual report.
- SABIC was first conceived in 1976, and began production in 1981.
- SABIC is a market leader in key products such as ethylene, ethylene glycol, methanol, MTBE, polyethylene and engineering plastics and its derivatives..
- Chemicals, SABIC’s largest strategic business unit, accounts for around 60% of the company’s total production.
- SABIC is the world’s third-largest producer of polyethylene and polypropylene.
- SABIC is also the world’s largest producer of mono-ethylene glycol, MTBE, granular urea, polycarbonate, polyphenylene and polyether imide.
- The Saudi Iron and Steel Company (HADEED), based in Al-Jubail, is one of the world’s biggest fully-integrated steel producers.
For more information about particular products please see our Products pages.
SABIC operates in more than 50 countries across the world and has 65 world-class manufacturing and compounding plants in locations across the Middle East, Asia, Europe and the Americas. Its headquarters are in Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia.
TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION
- SABIC has innovation hubs in five key geographies: USA, Europe, Middle East, South East Asia, North East Asia.
- Our Global Application Technology organization develops more than 150 new products every year.
- Backed by more than 10,640 global patents.
SAFETY AND THE ENVIRONMENT
- SABIC monitors a set of EHSS key performance indicators for its facilities and across the supply chain to continuously improve EHSS performance. Since 2005, the OSHA recordable injury rate for direct hire employees has improved by 32 percent, and the injury rate including contractor employees has improved by 56 percent.
- A key measure of EHSS performance across SABIC is the SHER (Safety, Security, Health, and Environmental Incident Rate), an internally developed metric that encompasses process safety, occupational health and safety, environment, and security. SABIC’s SHER has improved by 81 percent since 2005.
- The Responsible Care Award, the National Safety Council Award, the Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents, the British Safety Council, the Japan Industrial Safety and Health Association, and Saudi Arabia’s Royal Commission have all recognized SABIC’s Safety, Health and Environment performance.
For more information about our dedication to safety and the environment, please visit our Sustainability page.