Climate Change and Greenhouse Gas
SABIC is integrating climate-change resilience.
Our work to reduce our GHG emissions intensity strengthens our business and positions SABIC for a sustainable future.
In 2020, our GHG emissions intensity, measured in metric tons of CO₂ equivalent per metric ton of product sales (tCO2 eq/ t product sales), fell from 1.170 tCO2eq to 1.144 tCO2eq. This marks a 2.2% reduction in emissions intensity from 2019 and a 15.5% reduction from our 2010 baseline.
In 2020, our total GHG emissions were as follows: Scope 1 was 36.7 million tCO2eq, Scope 2 was 17.5 million tCO2eq.
We accomplished this progress through a number of projects:
- At our Baroda and Rayong sites, the solar panels we installed in 2019 have helped reduce GHG emissions by 465 tCO2eq per year.
- At our Bay St. Louis site, we upgraded the chiller a more environmentally friendly refrigerant, saving an estimated 2,376 GJ and 346 tCO2eq.
- At our Sharq affiliate, we installed a vent-recovery system to reduce flaring, saving 134,000 tCO2eq.
- At our Geleen site, we have made a number of improvements that have resulted in a savings of 149,000 GJ and 8,400 tCO2eq per year.
- At the SABIC Agri-Nutrients Company, we are using a data dashboard to track real-time losses and savings of CO2 during urea production.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions by Scope (million tCO2eq)
|Scope 2 ¹||18||18||17||18||18||17²|
* Assured by KPMG
1 Location-based method
2 Adjusted for rounding to correct total figure