About This Report
SABIC is a publicly traded, global leader in diversified chemicals with its global headquarters in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. We manufacture on a global scale and have five key geographies with innovation hubs in the United States, Europe, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and Northeast Asia.
Ranked among the world’s largest petrochemicals manufacturers, 70 percent of the company’s shares are owned by Saudi Aramco, with the remaining 30 percent traded on the Saudi stock exchange. Since SABIC began in 1976, we have grown rapidly and globally, with operations today in more than 50 countries and a global workforce of more than 31,000 talented individuals. Our materials help our customers to build a better future in key end markets – construction, medical devices, packaging, agri-nutrients, electrical and electronics, transportation, and clean energy. Our materials provide the building blocks for building a better future through Chemistry that Matters™.
Reporting period, scope and boundaries
SABIC publishes an annual report, which targets the financial and investor audience, and this Sustainability Report, which targets a wide internal and external audience. Published on April 13, 2022, this report covers SABIC’s sustainability performance from January 1 to December 31, 2021. It includes all SABIC businesses and operations that are financially consolidated in our 2021 Annual Report, available at: www.sabic.com/corporate/en/investorrelations. Additional sustainability content, technical details and definitions are available in the Report Supplement document on our corporate sustainability web page:https://www.sabic.com/en/sustainability
We believe external assessments improve our sustainability reporting, and for the last nine years, we have used KPMG to increase our confidence in certain reported data. The limited assurance engagement includes absolute and intensity operational metrics: energy consumption, greenhouse-gas emissions, freshwater usage, material loss, flaring reduction, and CO2 utilization, as well as selected corporate environment, health, safety, and security metrics, and compliance, as noted in the KPMG assurance report and marked by “*” throughout the Report. For compliance data, we have applied a more limited scope. Compliance data is reported for the 23,500 employees of SABIC and its wholly owned affiliates, but not for employees of SABIC’s non-wholly owned manufacturing joint ventures (or affiliates) in Saudi Arabia.
The SABIC 2021 Sustainability Report was prepared in accordance with our internally developed reporting criteria
OTHER REPORTING FRAMEWORKS
To guide the selection of report content and improve report quality, we align our internal reporting criteria with the “Core” option of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. A complete GRI Content Index can be found on the SABIC sustainability website.
We also continue to be inspired by the International Integrated Reporting Framework to capture SABIC’s journey toward creating economic, natural, human, and social value in both the long and short term.
This report serves as our official UN Global Compact (UNGC) Communication on Progress. An overview of how we are meeting our UNGC commitments and actions is available on the SABIC sustainability website: