CULTURE OF CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
EHSS requires continuous improvement. Only the latest tools and best practices result in world-class performance. This year, we built on the successful 2018 rollout of OMS.
OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
The new OMS provides clear principles, unified standards, and guidance to develop systems. The system empowers our manufacturers to take ownership and drive results.
This year we started to embed the new practices in operations.
A key tool is OMS Connect, an immersive education environment. The system improves site-systems and procedures.
Product Stewardship and OMS
As part of our OMS roll out, we reviewed more than four years of data from our Safety, Health, and Environment Management Standard (SHEMS) and Manufacturing Excellence Management Standard (MEMS). The result was lower risks. We also introduced product stewardship OMS standards.
Maturity Level Assessments
We began rolling out audits and assessments to implement our EHSS management standards. This year, we assessed eight facilities for process safety, health and environment, and occupational safety.
Our EHSS Rate is our overall KPI as it incorporates accidental releases, process-safety, health and safety, illnesses, and security. Incidents are rated on severity, and the rate is given for every 200,000 person-hours. We want a global EHSS Rate of no more than 0.25 by 2025.
Since 2005, our EHSS Incident Rate has improved by 84 percent and our Total Recordable Incident Rate by 67 percent. No fatalities occurred in 2019.
EHSS RATE METRICS AND ANALYSIS
|Process Safety Events (API-754)||10||15||7||7||24|
|Total Recordable Incident rate (TRIR)||0.13||0.14||0.12||0.14||0.14|
|Occupational Illness Rate (Total)||0.000||0.002||0.014||0.003||0.008|
|Security Incident Rate (SIR)||0.015||0.001||0.008||0.001||0.001|
EHSS RATE TREND FROM 2015 TO 2019
We continue to develop new tools. This year, our new leading and lagging global KPIs helped to identify significant risks.
Notable achievements this year were as follows:
- Introduced a process to collect SABIC manufacturing affiliate data
- Developed an KPI applicability assessment and exemption process
- Conducted quarterly reviews to monitor global KPI awareness
- Held EHSS feedback workshops with regional and affiliate teams
MAKING EVERYONE ACCOUNTABLE
At SABIC, we enable every employee to understand our EHSS strategy and integrate it into their daily lives.
Our Life-Saving Rules campaign emphasizes the basic rules and critical actions to keep high-risk employees safe. The Connect and Protect campaign examines safety behaviors, systems, and culture. Lastly, we expanded our “I am Accountable” campaign to remind employees of their personal roles.
EHSS NUMBERS FOR 2019
- 91 high-consequence process safety scenarios.
- 24 EHSS networks.
- 8 security risk assessments.
- 4 Incident learning sessions.
- > 10,000 customer declarations for product stewardship.
- 296 professionals trained in process hazard analysis.
- 161 engineers graduated from process safety fundamentals
- 115 experts trained in the National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health certification
- 95 instructors trained in unified safe work permit and LOTO (lockout/tag-out)
- 10 crisis management awareness sessions held
- SABIC participated in a crisis management drill for the Middle East
- 8 digital transformation projects completed
- 3 global EHSS digital town halls held
CASE STUDY: Responsible Care®
Responsible Care® is the chemical industry’s environmental, health, safety, and security performance initiative. This year, we updated our Responsible Care certification to the RC14001:2015 standard. Third-party audits found no major non-conformances. We are committed to improving this performance in the coming years.