INTRODUCTION TO SABIC CROSS COUNTRY PIPELINES
SABIC UK Petrochemicals operate two ethylene pipelines:
WGEP (Wilton to Grangemouth Ethylene Pipeline)
The Wilton to Grangemouth Ethylene Pipeline is a high pressure pipeline transporting ethylene from Wilton Site to Grangemouth, Scotland.
TPEP (Trans-Pennine Ethylene Pipeline)
The Trans-Pennine Ethylene Pipeline is a high pressure pipeline transporting ethylene from Wilton Site to Runcorn.
Pipeline DOs and DON’Ts
- Notify the pipeline office of any work, other than regular agricultural, within 50 metres either side of the pipeline
- Consult the pipeline office of any proposed excavations, drainage work, ditch clearing, fencing, subsoiling, or tree removal within 50 metres either side of the pipeline.
- Notify the office of any other third party work being carried out near the pipeline.
- Inform all personnel working in close proximity of the pipeline of the precautions required.
- Assume you know where the pipeline is.
- Rely on field/aerial markers for exact pipeline location.
PIPELINE INTEGRITY AND MAINTENANCE:
We carry out regular maintenance on our pipelines in order to preserve their safe condition. This includes aerial surveillance and walking the route annually to ensure that the pipeline remains free from unauthorised activity.
The pipeline’s protection includes cathodic protection and regular inspection. It is, however, third party and landowner interference which has proven to be the major cause of accidental damage to underground pipelines.
When planning any new works in close proximity to the pipelines, we need as much advance notice as possible, so that we can agree safe working conditions together.
WHAT IS A PIPELINE INFRINGEMENT?
A pipeline infringement is defined as any work that occurs within a 100-metre corridor (50 metres either side of the pipeline) without the Pipeline Team being pre-notified.
This work does not include normal agricultural activities associated with working the land, other than subsoiling.
Typical activities requiring pre-notification include the following:
- Fencing (new or repairs)
- Ditch/gutter cleaning
- Excavation activities
- Mole ploughing
- Removing trees/shrubs
- Building work
- Installation of new services
- New or upgrade of roads/tracks
If you are planning to do work within 50 metres of the pipelines or in the same parcel of land, please contact the pipelines office.
24 Hour Freephone: 0800 318105
North East Ethylene Pipeline Office: 01642 834531
North West Ethylene Pipeline Office: 01928 512677