FACTS AND FIGURES
- Net profits in 2016 were SR 17.8 billion (US$4.8 billion).
- Total assets were SR 316.9 billion (US$84.5 billion) at the end of 2016.
- SABIC’s overall production has increased from 35 million metric tons in 2001 to 72.7 million metric tons in 2016.
- SABIC was first conceived in 1976, and began production in 1981.
- SABIC is a market leader in key products such as ethylene, ethylene glycol, methanol, MTBE, polyethylene and engineering plastics and its derivatives.
- Chemicals, SABIC’s largest strategic business unit, accounts for more than 60% of the company’s total production.
- SABIC is the world’s third largest producer of polyolefins.
- SABIC is also the world’s largest producer of mono-ethylene glycol, MTBE, granular urea, polycarbonate, polyphenylene and polyether imide.
- The Saudi Iron and Steel Company (Hadeed), based in Al-Jubail, is one of the world’s biggest fully-integrated steel producers.
For more information about particular products please see our Products pages.
SABIC operates in more than 50 countries across the world and has 62 world-class manufacturing and compounding plants in locations across the Middle East, Asia, Europe and the Americas. Its headquarters are in Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia.
TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION
- SABIC has innovation hubs in five key geographies: USA, Europe, Middle East, South East Asia, North East Asia.
- Our Global Application Technology organization develops more than 150 new products every year.
- Backed by more than 12,191 global patents.
SAFETY AND THE ENVIRONMENT
The protection of human health, safety and the environment is fundamental to operational excellence. For SABIC, EHSS (Environment, Health, Safety, Security) is more than just a priority. EHSS is a core value – a deeply held belief that is a fundamental force driving actions and behaviors, which is not compromised to achieve short-term term goals. We believe it is important not only to meet regulatory requirements, but also to create a culture that goes beyond compliance to one that encourages continuous improvement.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
To measure our performance, we use an “EHSS rate,” which captures a comprehensive range of incident types, including accidental releases to the environment, process-safety events, occupational health-and-safety injuries, and illnesses and security incidents. The EHSS rate is based upon the number of incidents per 200,000 man-hours worked and the severity of the incidents. Since 2005, the combined EHSS rate of SABIC affiliates has improved by 83 percent, and our overall injury rate has improved by 67 percent.
For more information about our dedication to safety and the environment, please visit our Sustainability page.