FACTS AND FIGURES
- Net income in 2020 was US$ 17.8 million.
- Total assets were US$ 78.7 billion at the end of 2020.
- SABIC’s overall production in 2020 was 60.8 million metric tons.
- SABIC was first conceived in 1976, and began production in 1981.
- SABIC is a market leader in key products such as ethylene, ethylene glycol, methanol, MTBE, polyethylene and engineering plastics and its derivatives.
- Petrochemicals, SABIC’s largest strategic business unit, accounts for the bulk of the company’s total production.
- The Saudi Iron and Steel Company (Hadeed), based in Al-Jubail, is one of the world’s biggest fully-integrated steel producers.
For more information about particular products please see our Products pages.
SABIC has its headquarters in Riyadh and operates in around 50 countries across the world. SABIC has 64 world-class manufacturing and compounding plants in locations across the Middle East, Asia, Europe and the Americas.
TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION
- SABIC has innovation hubs in five key geographies: USA, Europe, Middle East, South Asia, North Asia.
- Our Global Application Technology organization develops, on average, around 95 new products every year.
- Backed by more than 9,946 global patents.
SAFETY AND THE ENVIRONMENT
The protection of human health, safety and the environment is fundamental to operational excellence. For SABIC, EHSS (Environment, Health, Safety, Security) is more than just a priority. EHSS is a core value – a deeply held belief that is a fundamental force driving actions and behaviors, which is not compromised to achieve short-term term goals. We believe it is important not only to meet regulatory requirements, but also to create a culture that goes beyond compliance to one that encourages continuous improvement.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
To measure our performance, we use an “EHSS rate,” which captures a comprehensive range of incident types, including accidental releases to the environment, process-safety events, occupational health-and-safety injuries, and illnesses and security incidents. Incidents are rated based on severity, and the rate is given for every 200,000 person-hours. We have a long-term strategic goal to reduce our global EHSS Rate to no more than 0.25 by 2025. Since 2005, our EHSS incident rate has improved by 88 percent and, compared to 2019, our total Recordable Incident Rate improved by 31 percent in 2020.
For more information about our dedication to safety and the environment, please visit our Sustainability page.