Foam & Lightweight Solutions
The building and construction industry has considerable potential to help save thermal energy. If we can devise and implement better ways to insulate houses, offices, factories, and pipework systems against heat loss (and refrigeration equipment against heat gain), then we can make a considerable contribution to conservation of energy – and a reduction in our gas and electricity bills.
There are three main areas where heat escapes from houses and buildings. Firstly, there is the structure – the walls, roof, windows, and foundations. A second area is ventilation, where heat loss depends on the house volume. Finally, there are the systems for heating the water and for air conditioning, where heat or cold can be lost during generation, storage, and distribution. It is important not to forget elements such as pipework for hot and cold water. Insulation of pipework in industry is even more important.
Foams for the thermal insulation of buildings are based on three families of polymers: polystyrenes (EPS bead foam and XPS extruded foam), polyurethanes, and polyolefins. Polystyrene foam, which SABIC supplies in the MEA (Middle East, Africa) region, is by far the most preferred solution for cavity walls and concrete floor insulation, due principally to its low thermal conductivity.
Thanks to their flexibility, good mechanical thermal insulation properties, polyolefin foams are also used in many structural construction elements such as floor underlay, aluminum-laminated wall and roof insulation and ground cushioning. SABIC is an important supplier of various polyolefins for insulation foams globally.
SABIC FOAM & LIGHTWEIGHT SOLUTIONS FOR CONSTRUCTION POTENTIALLY OFFER:
- Unprecedented light weighting possibilities allowing for design and cost optimization
- Good foam ability through more efficient processing
- Polymer properties provide a product with narrow tolerances, and balance between light weighting and properties like stiffness and impact
- Renewable PE & PP product range supporting our customers’ sustainability goals
- Sandwich panels replacing wood and metal eg. mobile homes, trailers, delivery vans
- Panels replacing wood
- Pallets and boxes
- Easy, simple and fast installation
- Excellent light transmission
- Freedom of colors
- High impact resistance
- High stiffness
- High thermal insulation (energy efficiency), U-value
- Regulatory compliance
- Wind and water tightness